The Lord is gentle; the Lord is slow to anger; the Lord is gracious. But the Lord is also just. The Lord is also faithful. God gives you space for correction, but you love the delay of judgment more than the amendment of your ways. Have you been bad yesterday? Today be good. Have you gone on in your wickedness today? At any rate change tomorrow. … We cannot deny that God has promised pardon to those who have amended their ways and are converted.
—Upper Room Spiritual Classics: Writings of Augustine, Edited by Keith Beasley-Topliffe (Upper Room Books, 2017)
How might the Holy Spirit be inviting you to change today? Join the conversation.
The LORD is merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
—Psalm 103:8 (NRSV)
Prayer for the Week
Try this suggested prayer practice this week:
1. Sit comfortably, close your eyes, and remember that God loves you and you are in God’s presence.
2. Imagine God calling you by name, asking “(Your name), what do you want?”
3. Answer God honestly with whatever word or phrase comes from deep within you.
4. Call God by name, a name you frequently use for God.
5. Combine your name for God with your word or phrase to form a brief prayer that flows smoothly.
Submit your prayer to The Upper Room.
Let’s join together and pray for our divided world. Post—or respond to—prayer requests and praise reports on The Upper Room Prayer Wall.
(Courtesy of Vanderbilt Divinity Library)
Looking for lectionary-based resources? Learn more about The Upper Room Disciplines.